How To: Picnic Like a Pro
It is officially summer and time to head outside for your dose of Vitamin D! When the Events Team is not busy dreaming up the next Duckhorn Wine Company event, we are crafting our own al fresco adventures. Follow these three easy steps below to picnic like a pro.
With the busy work week weighing on many of us, it can seem daunting to put together a well-organized weekend picnic. Lessen your stress, and put together a picnic-edition “bug-out” bag before the summer season starts. Keep a check-list of items included in your basket, use and replenish when you’re ready to hit the road again.
Summer Picnic Bug-Out Bag Essentials:
- For service: reusable dinnerware, including plates, utensils and stemless wine glasses; corkscrew, cheese board and an all-purpose knife
- Protect against the elements: blankets, clothing to keep warm, sunscreen and bug spray
- Clean-up duty: wine stain remover, trash bags, napkins and wet wipes
The time is now to enjoy your summer sippers! Pack the right wines and serve at the right temperatures to pair perfectly with your al fresco provisions. Our favorite picnic pairings include Duckhorn Vineyards Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc, Paraduxx Napa Valley Rosé and Goldeneye Anderson Valley Pinot Noir.
Traveling Beverage Hack:
- Partially or completely freeze non-alcoholic beverages to use as ice-packs to keep wine and food at the perfect temperature during transit
Avoid the charcoal smudges and sandy-sandwiches, prep all foods in advance to be enjoyed at ambient temperature. With less on-site prep work, hosts can make the most of their weekend adventures too.
- Accommodate for all: Prepare for any pop-up dietary needs, packing at least one gluten free dish, one vegetarian dish and one non-dairy dish
- Noshing: cheese wedges and crudité with dips keep a crowd coming back for more
- Keep it light: opt for fresh, seasonal ingredients, keeping friends energetic for that summer frisbee match
- Dressing on the side: store dressing in a shakeable jar and toss just before service to keep green and pasta salads fresh