Stuffed Chicken Wrapped with Bacon
This dish is one of Margaret Duckhorn's favorite holiday recipes.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 4 chicken breasts
- ⅓ cup shallot - minced
- 3 garlic cloves - minced
- ⅓ cup pistachios - chopped
- ½ cup ham - small dice
- 1 tablespoon tarragon - chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon Cognac (optional)
- 12 slices bacon
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Put chicken breast between 2 pieces of parchment and lightly pound with a rolling pin, you want it to be roughly a ½ inch thick. Continue with each breast. Salt and pepper both sides of chicken, set aside while making filling.
- Prepare all ingredients.Place 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, add shallots and garlic saute’ for 3 minutes then add pistachios and ham and a pinch of salt and pepper. Add Cognac if using. Remove from heat and add freshly ground nutmeg and tarragon. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary, let cool.
- Remove from heat and add freshly ground nutmeg and tarragon. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary, let cool.
- Now place 3 pieces of bacon side by side on a piece of parchment, place chicken on bacon, spoon 2-3 tablespoons of stuffing mixture on chicken, roll up and place a toothpick in the end to hold the bacon and chicken together. Do the same with the other 3 remaining chicken breasts.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for about 15-20 minutes depending on how big your chicken roll is. Check the internal temperature with a thermometer - should be 160. Let rest for 5 minutes then serve.
Tip: Should be served with Fig and Cranberry Chutney
Get the suggested pairing wines here.