Braised Short Ribs
Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep: 45 minutes | Cook: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours and 45 minutes
- 3 lbs meaty short ribs
- 1 red onion - chopped
- 1 fennel bulb - chopped
- 1 carrot - chopped
- 2 garlic cloves - chopped
- 1 ½ cups Duckhorn red wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 rosemary sprig - chopped
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- 1 cup dried cherries
- Orange zest - one 3 inch piece
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Take ribs out of refrigerator and let rest on counter for 30-45 minutes. Salt and pepper them. Also if the white membrane (sinew) is easy to pull off ribs do so, you can also trim excess fat but leave some for flavor.
- Prepare all ingredients.
- Heat dutch oven over medium high heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil - when oil is hot sear ribs well on all sides. Set aside on platter.
- Add chopped vegetables, salt and freshly ground pepper. Cook 3-5 minutes.
- Add wine and deglaze pan.
- Add tomato paste, stock, herbs and star anise.
- Nestle ribs into pan - they should all be nearly covered, it’s ok if they aren’t completely covered though. Place lid on pan and simmer for 1 ½ hours.
- Check to see if meat easily pulls apart, if so add the dried cherries and orange zest and cook for about 15 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and take lid off to cool for 5 minutes. You can remove short ribs and reduce sauce to desired thickness. You can also remove the vegetables, anise and zest if you want a smooth sauce. Either way will be delicious.
- Return ribs to sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve over polenta, mashed potatoes or grits.
Take a look at our recommended pairing below.
Pairing Recommendations - Reds