Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
Yield: 4-8 servings
Prep: 10 minutes | Cook: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 4 sweet potatoes or Japanese sweet potatoes
- ½ cup walnuts - chopped and toasted
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries, currants or cherries
- 1 apple - peeled and finely diced
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- ½-1 tsp cinnamon or garam masala
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 stick butter + more for brushing
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash and dry potatoes. Using a sharp knife carefully slice potatoes, not slicing all the way through the potato - ½ inch from the bottom. You can also lay 2 chopsticks down and set the potato on them, this will help from cutting all the way through. Make ¼ inch slices.
- Brush potatoes with melted butter or olive oil and place in baking dish and cook for 20 minutes.
- To make topping, prepare all ingredients. In a sauté pan heat butter, add apples and cook for 3 minutes or so.
- Add maple syrup, orange juice, walnuts, cranberries and spices. Cook for a few more minutes until flavors blend. Set aside in bowl.
- Remove potatoes from oven and top with apple mixture making sure to get all the butter syrup mixture.
- Return to oven for 15 -20 more minutes until potatoes are cooked and topping is toasted. Watch and if topping gets to brown tent with foil.
Get the suggested pairing wines here.
Pairing Recommendations - CH