Caramelized Onion Flatbread with Sausage and Rosemary
Yield: 6 as appetizer
Prep: 1 hour | Cook: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours and 30 minutes
- 2 tsp Yeast
- ¾ cup Water, warm approximately 90 degrees
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 4 tbsp Butter, unsalted Softened
- 8 cups yellow onions thinly sliced (approximately 6 medium sized onions)
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Fresh Thyme, chopped
- 2 tbsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Black Pepper
- 1 cup Sausage, cooked and crumbled finely (About 2 Links)
- 3 cups Grated Cheese such as Comte and/or Cheddar (Blue Cheese also works but use sparingly)
- 1 tbsp Rosemary Finely Chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degreeFlatbread:
- Bloom the yeast in warm water until fully dissolved.
- In a mixer with a dough hook attachment, combine the flour, salt butter and yeast/water mixture. Mix until fully incorporated and smooth. Adjust flour/water as needed if dough appears too wet and/or too dry.
- Cover in a stainless bowl with Saran Wrap for at least 1 hour in a warm area. This dough can be prepared 1 day in advance and kept in the refrigerator.
- In a medium size pot heat the oil with the onions on low heat. Season the onions with salt and pepper. Cover the pot with a lid and allow onions to sweat for 10 minutes. There will be a good amount of water from the onions.
- Remove the lid, turn the heat up to medium and begin to cook out the liquid. This will take approximately 1 hour. Continue to stir periodically to avoid scorching. Once the onions have developed a deep golden color, remove from the heat, add the chopped thyme and cool.
- Lightly flour work space and roll dough approximately 1/8 in. thickness. Lightly fork the dough to prevent bubbles.
- Spread the Onion Marmalade evenly over the surface of the dough.
- Sprinkle the Onions with Sausage. Season with Rosemary. Top with Grated Cheese.
- Bake until golden brown on the edges for approximately 20-25 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes then slice and serve!
Take a look at our recommended pairing below.
Pairing Recommendations - Cab