Hanger Steak & Beet Salad
Yield: 4 servings
Prep: 1 hour and 15 minutes | Cook: 1 hour
Total Time: 2 hours and 15 minutes
- 2 Hanger Steaks
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- 6 Medium beets (1 ½ - 2 lbs)
- ½ Fennel bulb - finely shaved on mandoline or knife (reserve 1-2 Tbsp fennel fronds)
- ½ cup Hazelnuts - toasted and chopped
- ½ cup Blue cheese - crumbled
- 2 cups Pea shoots for garnish
- Salt and pepper steak and let sit at room temperature for at least 1 hour before grilling.
- For gas grill, start all burners on medium-high until hot, then turn down one or two burners to create a hot zone and cooler zone. Grill steak on hottest part rotating on each side about 2-4 minutes per side to sear.
- Move steaks to cooler area and continue cooking to desired doneness 8-12 minutes for medium rare, turning occasionally. Let rest 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Wash beets and put in roasting dish salt and pepper and rub olive oil on each beet and cover with foil, transfer to oven and cook for 35-45 minutes until cooked and you can pierce with knife.
- When done remove from oven, set in another dish to cool, then peal and chunk. Toss with 1-2 Tbsp raspberry dressing and fennel fronds.
- Divide beets among 4 bowls, sprinkle each bowl with nuts and cheese. Toss pea shoots with a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper and garnish the top of each salad. Serve immediately.
Take a look at our recommended pairing below.
Pairing Recommendations - Cab